From: Tina Rusiski <email@example.com>
Sent: Thu, Jun 28, 2012 9:17 pm
Subject: Exciting Fall Community Service opportunity for Scouts!
Dear Boy Scout Leaders,
Even though I realize you and all troops are now enjoying a much-needed hiatus from programs & regular meetings, I wanted to get this information to you to help you plan NOW for a fun fall weekend earning Merit Badges that will also include serving others in a NEW, yet educational service-learning way that has never been done before.
We are an emergent nonprofit charitable organization serving individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities.
We will be hosting a unique Pumpkin Patch fundraising event as a sweeter, gentle alternative to the current blood & gore & chainsaws of the most dreadful Halloween attractions of today.
Here are the dates for the VERY SPECIAL Pumpkin Patch in Windber, PA
1) Saturday /Sunday, September 22nd & 23rd
2) Saturday /Sunday, September 29th & 30th
3) Saturday /Sunday, October 6th & 7th
SPECIAL HALLOWEEN EVENT: .One of the weekends (TBA) will feature a "Costumed Pet Parade & Contest" with visitors voting for the Cutest, Most Imaginative, Most Beautiful, Most Obedient, Most Poised, etc.
Below please see some possible activities we are currently planning.
· hay rides through the pumpkins
· gluten free (often sought by the autism community) organic food tasting treats and sales,
· pick-your-own pumpkin patch,
· pumpkin carving contest with prizes (inviting local art students to fashion creations made to suit the verbally provided specifications of the special needs guests)
· pumpkin and berry pies (locally grown and produced) for sale as a small fund raising side aspect of the day
· daily freshly roasted pumpkin seeds
· freshly pressed cider from locally grown apples
· daily scarecrow making contest and subsequent pageant
· safer alternative apple bobbing-like games
· hand bell concert of all invited special needs guests conducted by local musicians.
In addition, there are five special projects that would be EXCELLENT as Eagle Scout Leadership Service Projects, if you have any Eagle Scout candidates seeking a project.
This event would help Boy Scouts earn Merit Badges in any of the following areas:
Citizenship in the Community
Fish and Wildlife Management
Soil and Water Conservation
Possible other Areas of Interest:
_____ Grilling of Hot Dogs. Hamburgers, Fresh Roasted Pumpkin Seeds ____Apple Cider Press
_______Greeter ___________Hospitality Center ____________Photography
_____Web Site Design ________Guest Relations __________Registration ________Errands/Pick-ups
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like to meet to discuss how your troop can become involved with this terrific event!
Thank you for your consideration!
Tina Rusiski, President,
The Celebration of Life