Friday September 28, 2012
Hello Again Jamboree Scouts! As September draws to a close, I am pleased to announce that we almost have our complete Jamboree Troop contingent set There are just a few openings remainingfor Scouts, so please encourage your friends who have not signed up yet to do so right away, at www.bsajamboree.org!
This e-mail contains the following updates:
- Introducing your Jamboree Troop Adult Leadership
- Calendar of Jamboree Troop Meetings and Campouts
- Popcorn Sales Reminders
- Jamboree Payment Reminder
(1) Introducing your Jamboree Troop Adult Leadership
Here are the four adult leaders who will be sharing this Jamboree experience with you! Between the four of us, we have over 75 years of Scouting experience, as youths and adult leaders, and at least 7 previous National or World Jamborees under our belts. We are as excited about this first 2013 Jamboree at the new Summit Bechtel Reserve as you are, and we plan to make it a fantastic trip for all of us!
Scoutmaster -- Mr. Steve von Dohlen
Scoutmaster of Paso Robles Troop 60 -- 2007 to present|
Asst. Scoutmaster of Los Padres Council 2010 National Jamboree Troop
Eagle Scout; Order of the Arrow Vigil Member; father of one Eagle Scout, one Life Scout
Attended 1981 and 1985 National Jamborees as a Youth (SPL of 1985 Jambo Troop);
Attended 1983 World Jamboree as a Youth (Santa Clara County Council)
1st Assistant Scoutmaster -- Mr. David Athey (Program ASM)
Committee Chairman of Troop 60, Paso Robles -- 2010 to present
Eagle Scout; Order of the Arrow Brotherhood Member; father of Second Class Scout
Attended 1985 National Jamboree and 1987 World Jamboree as a Youth (Los Padres Council)
2nd Asst Scoutmaster -- Mr. Mike McDonough (Physical Arrangements / First Aid ASM)
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 2103, Lompoc
ASM - Los Padres Council 2005 National Jamboree Troop
Eagle Scout; Order of the Arrow Vigil Member; father of Eagle Scout, First Class Scout
3rd Assistant Scoutmaster -- Mr. Shane Bower (Records / Spirit ASM)
Venture Crew President
Eagle Scout w/Silver Palm; Order of the Arrow Brotherhood Member
Rancho Alegre Summer Camp Staff("Puffin")
Also, assisting us greatly throughout this journey will be many other great folks, including:
Mr. Lynn Johnson, Council VP of Program (Council Support)
Staff Member / Chaplain Corps, 2010 National Jamboree
Mr. Ron Walsh, Council Staff Program Advisor (Council Support)
Staff member, multiple previous Jamborees
Be sure to say "hi" and "thanks" whenever you see any of these folks!
(2) Calendar of Jamboree Troop Meetings and Campouts
Here are the seven dates for our Jamboree Meetings and Campouts -- please put them on your calendars now, and see below for a word on participation expectations. All Jamboree Meetings and Outings are Uniformed events -- full "Class A" / Field Uniform required. This will be a mandatory condition at the Jamboree, so we will begin dressing fully and properly right from the start!
Sat Oct 27 will be our first Troop Meeting (Likely in the morning in Santa Maria - TBA)
- For Scouts and parents; Meet-and-greet, start to know each other, see how guys work together, communicate calendar info to Scouts and parents, answer Scout and parent questions, talk about fundraising opportunities and protocols, and distribute Jamboree participant patches!
- Jamboree Popcorn Order Forms and Popcorn $ ;Due at Jambo Troop Meeting.
- Photographs will be taken of all our Jamboree Youth and Leaders!
Sat Nov 17 will be our for our second Troop Meeting (likely in the morning at Rancho Alegre or in Santa Maria - TBA)
- Forming the guys more into patrols, size-up potential youth leaders, prep for December 8-9 Jamboree Campout, patch design and neckerchief design discussions, etc.
S/S Dec 8-9 will be our first Jambo Troop Campout (either Camp French or Rancho Alegre)
- Scouts would work as patrols; team-building games and activities for troop and for patrols; Youth Leadership Candidate interviews on Sunday by Adult Leaders.
Sat Jan 12 will be our Third Troop Meeting, in Santa Maria in early afternoon, leading up to Council Dinner Saturday evening (Jamboree Troop will have a key role at the Council Dinner that evening.)
- At Troop Meeting, check on patrol names, flags, patches; discussions on health checks and swim checks; Jamboree Troop to serve as colorguard and other roles at Council Dinner, in part to showcase the Council Jamboree Troop. Also possibly "Troop Leader Training" for our appointed Youth Leadership (SPL, ASPL, Scribe, QM, PLs, APLs, etc.)
Sat Feb 2 for our Fourth Troop Meeting, at Scout-O-Rama
- Jamboree Troop will have key role at Scout-O-Rama, ie. colorguard, introduction of Troop to Council; Troop Meeting at some point during S-O-R; prep for upcoming Troop Campout, etc.
S/S Feb 23-24 for our second Jambo Troop Campout, likely at Camp French or Rancho Alegre
- More Troop and Patrol camping interaction, and leadership by the youth leaders -- tentmates, cooking as a patrol, example of commissary food distribution, Jambo-style cooking and cleaning, finalization of any outstanding issues (patch design, t-shirt design, neckerchief design, etc.). Troop Leader Training, if not previously completed.
F/S/S April 26-28 or May 3-4-5 for our final Jambo Troop Campout -- shakedown Campout -- at Camp French or Rancho Alegre.
- This campout will be run as closely as possible to "Jamboree-style," including campsite set-up, food, cooking and cleaning, etc.
A word on participation expectations -- We understand that you all are some of the busiest, most active Scouts, young men, and families around -- that is one reason why you have been chosen for this awesome opportunity! But for us to function well as a Troop and as patrols, we need your active participation in these Jamboree Troop Meetings and Outings. The expectation is that you will participate in all seven of these scheduled events (plus Patrol Meetings, as needed). We understand that some of these Fall dates may present challenges, so please do your best and communicate with me if problems. For the dates after the first of the year, hopefully you should have no problem scheduling around them at this point. (Again, please let me know if problems). Thanks!
(3) Popcorn Sales Reminders
Just a quick reminder that you can be selling popcorn right now through the Jamboree Troop, and receiving 50% commission for your sales toward Jamboree costs! Please see my previous e-mails about popcorn sales, or contact me directly if questions. Please note that the Jamboree Popcorn Take Orders (your order forms) and money will be due at the October 27 Jamboree Troop Meeting, so get out there now and sell! We also have lots of Jamboree popcorn product available for you right now to take out and sell in Show and Sells, door-to-door, etc.!
Also -- please share with us any great fundraising ideas you might have -- the more, the better!)
(4) Jamboree Payment Reminder
Just a quick reminder that Sept 30 is the date by which we have asked everyone to be caught-up to the $1,000 payment amount (less any deposit amounts previously paid). If this presents a challenge, please let Mr. Walsh and/or me know, so we can make other arrangements. And please also note that the next payment of $750 (for a total of $1,750) is due by December 15, 2013. Here again is the payment schedule, as previously mentioned in the September 12 letter:
- $1,000 total due by September 30, 2012; (total payment due = $1,000)
- $750 additional due by Dec. 15, 2012; (total payments due = $1,750)
- $1,000 additional due by March 15, 2013; (total payments due = $2,750)
- final balance of approx *$550 due by May 30, 2013 [*depending on air fare and other ground transportation]; (total payments due = $3,300*)
- Start thinking of design ideas for our Jamboree Council Patch, our Jamboree Order of the Arrow Flaps, and our Jamboree Neckerchief and T-Shirt designs!
- Start thinking about possible Jamboree Patrol Names, and also whether you'd like to be considered for one of the Jamboree Troop Youth Leadership Positions (SPL, ASPL, QM, Scribe, PL, APL, etc.) - and how you should conduct yourself if you'd like to be considered for one or more of these positions!
- Start thinking of other fundraising ideas -- these could be for the entire Jamboree troop, or for the guys in your area, or just for you. But the more ideas, the better!
- Start thinking about your questions for our first Troop Meeting on October 27!
Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you all at our first Jamboree Troop Meeting on Saturday October 27!
Mr. von Dohlen, Scoutmaster
Los Padres Council 2013 National Jamboree
(h) 805-227-0779 / (w) 805-788-2379 / (c) 805-712-4422